Monday, March 2, 2009

Becoming Obsessed

Regardless of your ability to define it, we are all obsessed with something or someone. It's my belief that a large majority of people are unable to articulate what they are obsessed with; and the other majority are afraid to discover what their life obsession is. An obsession drives everything; it's what pushes you, keeps you going, and it might even be the kind of obsession that runs your life.

As a Christian, the only obsession I'm to have is an obsession for following Jesus. Period. I need to become obsessed with following Jesus so closely that I become covered with the dust from his sandals if he were to be walking in front of me. I need to learn to love the things he loves, say the things he said, be in the places he would go, look at the things he would look at, invest in the things he invested in, and do the things he tells me to do.

Honestly, sometimes I'm obsessed with Jesus and sometimes I'm not.
Here's a short test that I use to see what is currently my obsession:

1. What do I think about as I lay in bed about to go to sleep?
2. What do I think about when I wake up?
3. Where are large of amounts of money going?
4. Where are large amounts of my time going?
5. Who am I currently trying to make happy?

Those five simple questions make me refocus and help me to identify my obsession.

1 comment:

  1. Your a talented writer Brain. Thanks for sharing. I think I'm obsessed with the internet right now because I have been on it for a while. Love you bro.

    ReplyDelete