Monday, October 12, 2009

What The Angels & Kyokushin Karate Masters Taught Me This Week

It's funny what can turn into a teachable moment for me. One minute I'm just sitting down watching a show and all of the sudden a huge life lesson is emerging. It's kind of scary actually. I think it upsets people too. I'll lay out the life-lesson I was just reminded of and the look on their face tells me they're saying, "Can't you just have fun & stop thinking for a even a moment?!" [ I think my wife does this sometimes =) ]

Well, here's two major life-lessons that I was reminded of while watching TV this weekend (I hope they encourage you as much as they encouraged me):
  1. Even when things look hopeless, never, ever, ever quit playing the game. - When the Angels were down to their last 3 outs of the game, down by 2 runs, at Fenway Park, my faith in an Angels' win was gone. But the Angels didn't loose hope, didn't give in, and they made one of the most spectacular come-backs I've seen in years!
  2. Real strength is only built through experiencing real pain. - I found myself obsessively watching "Fight Quest" when they were highlighting the fighting style of Kyokushin Karate in Japan. I nearly stopped breathing when the Karate Masters were training their students in the woods and having them punch trees! A Master can apparently use a tree as a punching bag and throw punches at full force. Incredible! That is just one highlight of showing their real strength, but to truly grasp how strong they can be they have had to endure extreme pain. This principle drives all their training; they have a purpose behind the pain. I cannot begin to know how strong a person I really am if I never experience some pain. Pain is what builds and proves real strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment